market-farming - Re: tomato squeezers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tomato squeezers
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:01:11 -0400

We put our tomatoes into pulp quart containers and sell those for a set
price and generally do not let customers root through them, though it
happens as soon as you turn their back on them. To prevent them from
continuing I tell them they can pick tomatoes out of the boxes to be
weighed but the price per pound is 2 to 3 times (depending on how much
damage they have done and my mood) the price per box. So if a 3lb box
costs $5 the same 3 pounds out of the box will cost between $10 and $15.

With heirloom varieties, damage happens a lot with very little handling.

I too am amazed at the balls customers have with Fresh food sold out of
doors. We get people taking bites of green beans and than tossing the
leftover back with uneaten beans (this is with a compost receptacle
close by), Squeezing tomatoes, apples, eggplant. Opening up corn husks
and putting a nail into the kernels. it is amazing the liberties folks
will take with our food. things they would not dream of doing to food at
the grocery store.

To combat this we are packaging more and more produce every year so
folks cannot damage our food.
I personally do not like using so much packaging but it sells the
produce faster and keeps damaged goods way down.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)