market-farming - Re: question about heating a small greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Julie M. Willingham" <farm2gates AT excite.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: question about heating a small greenhouse
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:09:15 -0800 (PST)

We have a single layer plastic greenhouse, 8x14, in our back yard. (It used
to be double layer, but the 130+ summer temps inside-with both doors
open-destroyed the inner layer.) We heat it with a Vornado electric heater,
which is really meant for indoor heating. It has a rheostat temperature
control and 2 fan speeds, and works really well because it sends out a
vortex of air. I don't remember if the Vornado has a grounded plug or not,
but we have it on a 10 ft. grounded extension cord to a grounded outlet by
the back porch.

We have friends with a greenhouse more like yours who heat theirs with
"milkhouse" heaters. They put out a lot of heat, but the heat doesn't travel
very far without a fan to spread it out.

This year we also covered the house with row cover (one of those spun-bonded
polyester types) at night, and that helped keep up the temperature inside.
Hope this helps.

Julie M. Willingham
The Farm of Two Gates
zone 6b in the low, dry, hot part of Washington

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/