market-farming - Question about heating small greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT gamewood.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Question about heating small greenhouse
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:51:34 -0500

Anybody got any advice on heating a 12x24 greenhouse with a single layer
of plastic for starting seedlings? Would it be feasible to do it
electically via an extension cord or are there any gas heaters that don't
require any electric (or could be powered via extension cord)? I would
probably use propagation mats too. I need to get a larger area to start
seeds for next year- I have quickly realized that I can't produce enough
transplants under lights in the house. But I don't want to undertake any
electrical work. I once heard a farmer say they used an unvented propane
heater that used propane tanks like whats on a grill, but I think that
that would cause exhaust problems.

I am also checking into getting someone with a greenhouse to grow
transplants for me using seed I purchase. Anybody else doing this? What is
the usual charge for it?

Thanks,
Amy K. Johnson
Johnsons' Produce Patch