market-farming - Re: Tractor Rollovers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tractor Rollovers
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:55:33 -0500

Excellent advice, Phil.

I worked with a man once designing and building and interchangable set of metal stamping dies to be fool proof- so anyone could change the setups and not get it wrong.  Well, needless to say, it came back a week later completely smashed.

As we stood looking at the damage, my co-worker said, "You can make anything Fool-proof, but you can't make it Damnfool-proof."

A Damnfool could roll a tractor on firm, level ground.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm

HackettShark AT aol.com wrote:

Most of the time that a roll over happens is through pure neglect of not
paying attention to what is going on.  Steep side hills can cause this, but
not very often.  If the ground is rather smooth you should have little
problem.  Always hitch your equipment the way the tractor was designed to
have a piece of machinery attached to It.  Always hitch to drawbar...  Do Not
over load your three point hitch that makes the front end of the tractor to
light, buy front end weights to balance your losd that your are carring.

I have a 3020 Gas tractor and have a lot of three point equipment that needs
to have at least 750# weight on the front to balance the tractor so the front
end is not to light when hooked up to some things.  When I move Big Bales I
put on at least an extra 500#  because these bales weight a ton on an min..

Speed and quick turns are the easiest way to tip over tractors but you always
have to pay attention to what you are doing and were you are driving.  Just
like driving anything else pay ATTENTIO

  • Tractor Rollovers, HackettShark, 03/27/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Tractor Rollovers, Alex McGregor, 03/27/2001