market-farming - RE: more greenhouse clarifying questions!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: more greenhouse clarifying questions!
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:02:10 -0600

> ----------

I would think that the wind resistance would be better, but have no data to
support it.

> Does this seasonal removal of plastic compromise the integrity of the
> double layer w/ air system?

You would probably get some fatigue of the plastic - translating into tears.
Don't know how much.

> Or maybe it is actually a good idea to leave plastic on top, with sides
> rolled up, and put shade cloth so that it will be COOLER than normal in
> the summer, or maybe cooler in late summer when I want to put in the cole
> crops in July (the recommended planting time here to harvest for fall
> sales)

This I think could really work. Especially in a climate a little warmer
than ours. We think roll-up sides get a little too much cold air
infiltration for effective winter growing, but you are south of us quite a
bit. We have planted cold crops in late June under remay for shade, and
they did really well.

Alison