market-farming - Re: market-farming Working CSA Shares

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BBGREGSON AT cs.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming Working CSA Shares
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 13:05:37 EST

It is laudable to provide all the services you do for your community, and at
what seems to be a very low price (to the community). However, I get the
feeling that you and others who have the same philosophy are the ones paying
a very unfair price in the long run if you have to maintain off-farm incomes
and are not prospering economically.

Sustainable agriculture includes sustaining the participating farmers in a
manner that will allow them cheerfully to keep doing what they do over the
long run...and pay for proper insurance, health care, return on their
invested dollars/labor, college for children if appropriate, and retirement.
That's only fair. We farmers work awfully hard and should expect a full
range of value (financial as well as aesthetic) for our efforts, even while
we nurture, train, and support our communities.

Bob Gregson
Island Meadow Farm
Vashon Island, WA