market-farming - Working share advice

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wagbo Peace Center - Tracy Meisterheim" <wagbo AT torchlake.com>
  • To: "MARKET FARM LISTSERVE" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Working share advice
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 13:25:41 -0500

Hello Friends!
The Wagbo Peace Center is a 212 acre working farm "modeling peaceable
sustainable living and teaching the concepts of peace, nonviolence,
sustainable agriculture and environmental stewardship" along with the many
things that go on here we have a 3 1/2 acre CSA organic vegetable garden.

Going into our fourth year CSA program we are considering offering a working
share option and are very interested in hearing opinions
from those of you who have experience in this area!

Several questions come to mind...

(1) How many hours?

(2) What % of discount?

(3) Success or trouble with participation?

(4) Pay in full then reimburse? or reduced? If reduced how are work hours
enforced?

We presently have 30 families, but are expanding to a Multi-Farm program
this year offering a greater variety.
The working share option would more likely apply to the main veggie farm
only (coordinating with other farms would only complicate a first year try I
think)

Scott MacKenzie
Multi-Farm CSA
Coordinator