market-farming - Re: SOME RECOMMENDATIONS FOR MIDWESTERN GRAPES

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SOME RECOMMENDATIONS FOR MIDWESTERN GRAPES
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 06:51:09 -0600

Yeah, I agree about the Illinois winters. I used to live in Western NY and,
frankly, I'd trade winters anytime. Zone 5 Illinois just isn't zone 5
Western NY.

My friend at the Cornell extension has been pretty doubtful about our
ability to do wine grapes here in Illinois. However, there was a recent
post on market farming recommending marachel foch and suggesting two sources
in western NY, one in Fredonia and one in North Collins (Concord-Foster
nursery I believe). I know both. Used to live in Fredonia and next door to
C-F.. Both good sources. I know others as well.

When I read the recommendations on market farming for foch and sources I
thought I would ask my friend again. None of these grapes should do very
well in east central Illinois or similar areas in Iowa. I forget who the
source of the original recommendations was?

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL