market-farming - Re: sweet potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: sweet potatoes
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:58:38 -0600

At 10:15 AM 11/22/2000 -0800, you wrote:
Im curiuos where did you get your slips to start the plants last spring?
Hi Greg,

I got the slips at three different places.  I bought 25 at a time and planted them until I had 150.  I thought they all had died and I gave up.  After the first nice rain, they all sprang to life and did really well.  I got some at Barnes Greenhouse in Trenton,  A greenhouse in Chillicothe (can't remember the name) and some from an Amish greenhouse on the highway near Jamesport.  The  ones from the greenhouses were just bare plants wrapped in wet paper.  The Amish ones were potted in soil and they did the best.  I'm going to try growing my own slips this year.  I understand that you can stick a sweet potato in water and it will grow the slips.  I don't know how  you get them off the sweet potato - need to research this.

Marie in Missouri