market-farming - market-farming "Farmer Conferences" -- Left Out Again

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: steuben AT cornell.edu
  • Subject: market-farming "Farmer Conferences" -- Left Out Again
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:22:39 EST

I just received notice of the 2001 New York State Farmers Direct Marketing Conference in Owego, "Growing Your Profits".

Once again, it's information I would love to have. Looks like a great conference.

And once again, it's being held on a Monday through a Wednesday (February 5-7), so I can't attend without losing several days of pay.

I'll probably take the financial hit and attend -- at least it's enough advance notice that I might be able to put in a Saturday or two to lessen the impact (I thank Jim Grace at CCE for the early notification that makes this an option, and my progressive employers who are usually willing to at least discuss flexible schedules as long as the work gets done).

But I still don't see why at least a few of these conferences can't be scheduled on weekends. Aren't the organizers aware that many thousands of farmers are still in business only because they support their efforts with
off-farm jobs?

Gnarf.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm & Center for Sustainable Living
Corning, NY

http://www.ic.org/agrove/index.htm