market-farming - Re: Seed Sources

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <jrei AT uswest.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Seed Sources
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 19:10:23 -0800

Hi Becky,
Couldn't let this one go by without comment. You might want to give our
commercial sales
coordinator, Josh, a call at Territorial Seed Company or e-mail him at
tsc AT ordata.com.
We are distributors for every major seed supplier in the world, but I would
have to say
that our pricing structure is similar to Johnny's. You will also find a great
deal of
organic seed in our 2001 catalog.

As to the comments on price, I can only say that they will continue to
increase. In
relationship to other parts of the world, quality seed is priced quite
cheaply in the
US. Many of the very same varieties that we import and sell to US growers are
sold in
Europe for two or three times the price. European producers begrudgedly sell
seed to the
US at a lower price than they will sell it in there own county but I see this
trend
changing. There are no price breaks this year for high quality organic seed
that we are
buying from Germany, Holland and Switzerland.

We request only the top germinating portion of the crop, we conduct extensive
trialing,
lot growouts and multiple germination tests. We conduct seed vigor testing as
well as
disease screening of seed lots. These all cost money, but it's done to
provide you the
growers with the best seed that we can and in the long run will only pay for
itself.

We are certifying our own organic seed production ground and have added 30
certified
acres to our conventional seed production farms this year. Because of land
and labor
costs organic seed can be produced slightly less expensively here in the US.
We are
constructing a seed research facility and conditioning plant in an effort to
make our
seed processing more efficient in order to hold costs down and continue to
offer good
varieties at good prices.

I know this does not address your concerns, but as a farmer myself for 20
years I would
only say that good seed pays it doesn't cost!

Best Regards,
Joel