market-farming - Re: restaurant order

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: restaurant order
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:52:54 -0400

The going wholesale price for peppers is a good place to start. Use the
selling point
that your peppers are fresher and will keep longer in their cooler (1 day
from harvest as
opposed to 2 weeks average for shipped). Also, have the chef taste yours and
what he/she
is buying now. They should be willing to pay more for higher quality.

And there is the reality that they can't pay too much and still make a profit
themselves.

I've found that restaurants where the chef does the buying are more
appreciative of
freshness and flavor. I had a restaurant manager who did the buying tell me,
"How much
do I get for how much money. That's all I care about. It's the chef's job
to make it
look and taste good."

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm