market-farming - Re: wireworms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wireworms
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:52:31 -0400

Nancy,

Wireworms are the larval form of clicK beetles. Click beetles lay their eggs
in sod
where there's plenty of food for their babies- wireworms eat roots. It's no
wonder you
have them in a newly tilled area. Cultivation will get rid of them.

Too late now, but next time, plant something that root feeders won't damage
in newly
tilled areas. The click beetles won't lay eggs in a cultivated area, so it
should be
"wireworm-less" after this season. (Assuming you keep the area clean of
weeds and grass
this summer.) Plant a non-grass cover this Fall and you should not see any
(or very
many) wireworms next season.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm

Nancy Haycock wrote:

> I just discovered that I've got wireworms in my potato beds. These are
> newly tilled beds -- formerly hay fields, so the sod was very fibrous
> and thick. The potatoes have been doing very well -- looking nice dark
> green and healthy. Then, last week, I got my first Colorado Potato bugs
> and flea beetles, and now these wireworms!
> This is my first year of growing potatoes. Does anyone have any advice
> to offer me?

  • wireworms, Nancy Haycock, 06/29/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: wireworms, Alex McGregor, 06/29/2000
    • RE: wireworms, Miranda Smith, 06/29/2000