market-farming - Re: soy to my world

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: soy to my world
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 12:41:19 -0500

What about innoculant, Hugh?

I get so much contradicting info about innoculating legumes. What I've hear most recently is: you don't really need to innoculate if innoculant has EVER been used in your field. I also hear that you probably don't every need to innoculate anyway, but better safe than sorry. And, I've heard that innoclant does not need to be applied to 'each' bean but c.b. simply powered in small quantities into the soil anywhere near where it is needed.

(No, I don't have time or patience to test these ideas. l-)

I have to admit, I've quit innoculating and I'm still finding nodules on the roots of my legumes if I pull them.

However, I haven't put my butterbeans in this year and I was thinking how I had never innoculated with specific soy innoculant and of the huge bags of innoculant Southerh States sells for Soy Beans only. (They don't have a garden sized innoculant, only a by the bushel size)

So, Hugh, do you use soy innoculant when you sow your soy?

-Allan