market-farming - Re: soy to my world

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Hugh Lovel <uai AT alltel.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, sanet-mg AT ces.ncsu.edu, bdnow AT envirolink.org, org-grow AT pd.org
  • Subject: Re: soy to my world
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:03:49 -0400

Messr. Smiley writes:

>The edible soy bean is starting to gain a following in the Deep South (some
>things take longer to filter down this way). Can someone suggest a good
>heat (and drought!) resistant variety of edible/vegetable soy bean and a
>source for seed? I work in South Louisiana where we think globally and eat
>locally, but the weather has been dry for the past three years and the
>French has been sloppy for 200.
>
>thanks e' merci.
>AWSmiley in Red Stick
>(c'est en Baton Rouge, mon cher')
>
>---

Mon cher Smiley en Baton Rouge,

I grew up in Hammond, but I've moved to higher ground this past 25 years.

I'm growing Vinton 81 and HP 204s, both great edomame (large, to be eaten
green) soybeans. If you get seeds from someplace like Johnny's? I believe
they take standard varieties, put fancy names on them and sell for
astronomic prices. Just go with the tofu soybeans (which are also eaten as
edomame) and buy seed for $15 a bushel plus shipping (UPS). I got mine from
Albert Lea Seed House in Minnesota. Can't lay my hands on the address at
the moment, but I got it out of ACRES.

I'm growing these biodynamically (i.e. by the biodynamic method, helps with
the weather an' all) for market and chefs in Atlanta. The beans are ready
from top to bottom of the plant all at once, so take the pickup out in the
field, pull up a stack of vines and go back by the house under the trees
and with family and friends, a good fan, lemonade and the stereo, what?,
and pick by the bushel in comfort. The spent vines go to the cows or pigs
and the beans to market at $5/lb.

And an edomame party? Get the kettle going out in the yard like you would
for crawfish. Don't forget to add salt and a bottle of Zatarain's! Dump in
a big mess of soybeans, live IN the pod, and boil for 8 minutes. Scoop them
suckas out and spread them down the picnic table on newspaper, salt them a
little and dig in. Hold each pod up to your lips with your fingers on the
inside curvature of the pod and squeeze. The beans will pop into your mouth
slick as raw oysters. Pass the afternoon with some tall ones on ice and
swap stories.

You folks not been getting enough rain? Not like it used to be with
afternoon thundershowers back in the days before megapollution? You ought
to get with me sometime and let me show you how to make rain and clean up
the atmosphere. For real, Bra! I make my own Louisiana Hot Sauce too. Sells
quicker than hot jambalaya on a cold Mardi Gras day--for $5/bottle 'cause
it's so goo-o-o-o-d!

Best,
Hugh Lovel
Blairsville, GA