market-farming - Market-Farming: Market for Duck and Goose Eggs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Market-Farming: Market for Duck and Goose Eggs
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:22:27 EST

Check with requirements of your state Ag & Markets people, but small-scale sale of duck and goose eggs to Chinese restaurants can pay a few feed bills. I'm getting $2 a dozen for duck eggs, $4 a dozen for goose eggs.

It also helps to keep the population down -- my happy well-fed guys are laying like crazy and I'll have plenty of babies thanks to the well-hidden nests (one of the down sides to free-range or pastured birds on a big pasture, and my Rouens' tendency to drop those eggs wherever).

If I don't find enough of those eggs, my friends at the restaurant will also take butchered ducks. It took me a while to find a butcher with an operation that was legal for resale (and within a reasonable driving distance), but I did it.

I've also been making lots of wonderful pound cakes and freezing them. The incredible, edible egg...

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm
Corning, NY

http://www.ic.org/agrove

Intentional Community with local and long-distance members
Chemical-free fruits, vegetables, herbs, and flowers
Dairy and pack and draft goats
Free-range chickens, ducks, and geese
Affordable housing cooperative
Regional farmer's marketing cooperative
Partnerships
Dried herbs and American-grown Black Tea by mail-order