market-farming - winter rye cover crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William McKay" <bmckay55 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: winter rye cover crops
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 02:01:21 PST

I suspect you are facing two problems. First, winter rye secretes something (I forget the name) which prevents competitor seeds from germinating. That is why most people who grow rye and turn it in wait two or more weeks to seed after tilling.

Second problem is if you leave the rye and set in transplants, how to you keep the rye from growing. Mowing it this time of year would do nothing to stop future growth. About the only way you could kill it is by spraying something such as round up, then setting your transplants in.

There is a fair amount of iformation around on no till agriculture. Some people swear by it. There is a guy in PA (Steve Groth I believe) who has a web site with some decent info; you could easily find it by setting your search engine to no till or Steve Groth.

Bill McKay