market-farming - winter rye cover crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Petersons Family <petersns AT whidbey.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: winter rye cover crops
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:42:14 -0800

We planted a winter rye and fava bean cover crop into most of our two acre
vegetable growing spaces late last fall. Both covers are about 3" tall
now. We have severe weed problems on one section and I'm hoping to control
them somewhat by setting out transplants of crops like broccoli and cabbage
and my pole peas into a furrow in the cover crops, then mowing between the
rows. I vaguely remember that rye controls weeds, and not just by crowding
them out. Do any of you know whether the rye would be detrimental to my
transplants, and would it be detrimental to seed germination if I attempt
to seed into a furrow and leave rye on either side? Obviously the favas
managed to make it in concert with the rye, but I wonder about other crops.