market-farming - Re: Zinnias

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Zinnias
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 12:18:16 -0500

In Wisconsin you may not have quite the problem with mildew as we do
here in the south. I use a baking soda spray--4 ts per gallon of
water to treat. We also have problems with bacterial spot. If they
get this, it generally affects the lower portion of the plant, and
affected leaves can be trimmed from flowers--blossums are not
affected. (At least here they aren't) You can treat this with copper
sprays, but I don't like to use these, so I just destroy the plants
(do NOT put in compost!) I successive plant these to make up for any
losses.

I plant my zinnias 12" apart, in rows of 100', 2 rows to 4' wide bed.
You can start some zinnias for transplants, but double petaled
varieties may revert to single petals after transplanting--they do not
like their roots disturbed.

I do not sell these as single stems--but bunches of 10 sell for $3.50
with a bit of annual baby's breath as a filler. My favorite varieties
& best sellers are the Sombrero (Shepherd's Garden Seeds)--a red and
yellow mexican hat look, and Envy (chartreuse)--in high demand for
restaurant tables and flower designers.

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC