market-farming - Re: Sawdust as Mulch:

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sawdust as Mulch:
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:25:19 -0500

Oh goody, I can pick your brains, Holly!

Do the fungi microbes work as quickly (which is what we want in order
to ultimately benefit our plants) as the aerobic soil bacteria?

The sawdust piles I see now, are from mills that went out of existence
40-60 years ago. Is this how slow the fungi work?? I don't want
something ON my soil that takes that long to decompose, (granted it
wouldn't take that long once it's exposed to sun & moisture).

>The important point is that sawdust as mulch is ok; sawdust as a
planting medium may be problematic for some crops.<

I believe this is Art's point. Because sawdust is free in such huge
amounts, people have a tendency to overuse it, then wonder why their
crops suffered/perished.

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC

PS Can you recommend resourses for more study on this-email me
privately since this may bore the pants off some!