market-farming - Re: Horsepower-4 legged kind

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Horsepower-4 legged kind
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:58:56 -0500

> >Liz,

I have just joined this list and have enjoyed this thread about horses
since I am a
horse lover and have been trying to talk my husband into getting a pair of
draft horses.
(We have riding already and he has heard all too often about how I just have
to have such
and such horse so he is not falling for it.) If you were wanting a pair of
horses to do a
small amount of work but also to have as a novelty I wonder how a pair of
draft type
miniatures would do? Miniature horses are bred for different body types and
there are
some specifically bred for a draft horse build in miniature. I know a
regular build mini
can pull a cart with 2 adults in it. I am not sure the physical capabilites
are for the
draft type but wouldn't that be a attention getter to see a pair of those at
work in your
garden. Because of their size they are easier to handle too. We had a mini
not long ago
and eveyone who came to the farm loved him.. He was quite a ham too.
Sue Steiner
Sweetgrass Farm
Wadsworth, Oh.