market-farming - Staw mulch - round bales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dean Mullis <demullis AT InfoAve.Net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Staw mulch - round bales
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:10:31 -0500

I am new to the list and think is great!
I started using round bales of either oat or wheat straw 2 years ago and
really like it.
In wide-spaced crops like pumpkins, you can roll the bales out along either
side of the row and tuck the straw under the plants with a fork. More
closely spaced crops require spread by hand and fork but, the straw from the
round bales spread much easier since it is rolled up rather than
chopped and compacted into "book" as in square bales.
The drawback to round bales handling them. They can be stored outside with
no major damage. I buy mine in June during harvest season for next
year's use. They cost $10-12 for a 4'X4' bale. Which is approximately 10-12
square bales.

Dean Mullis
Laughing Owl Farm
Richfield, NC