market-farming - Re: What is a farmers market or direct marketing association?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: What is a farmers market or direct marketing association?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:46:45 -0500

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:17:49 , "Jennifer-Claire Klotz"
<jcvk AT hotmail.com> wrote:

>Direct marketing association is one that we are "loosely defining" as a
>group which seeks to improve or facilitate direct marketing (Farmers
>markets, roadside, CSA, pyo.....) as it's primary objective. There are a
>lot of fruit and vegetable producer associations or sustainable agriculture
>groups that have some activities (benefits and services) that assist farm
>direct marketers or "facilitators" (i.e. extension agents) but they are not
>100% dedicated to direct marketing. We would include NAFDMA
>(http://www.nafdma.com) in this group.
>
>Farmers market association is basically the same, however doesn't deal with
>all forms of direct marketing, only farmers markets. This is where it got a
>little fuzzy because included in the list are groups like the California and
>New York Federations of Farmers Markets but also groups like Greenmarkets.
>The Federations are really more facilitators whereas Greenmarket is actually
>running markets.

Federation ....hmmm, sounds like POG needs to be beamed up into a DMA,
which is what it should have been from the beginning. So, as far as
corporate and tax status is concerned what is the official designation
for a direct marketing association? 501-(?)?

>The only cooperative on the list at the moment is Commodity Growers out of
>Kentucky since they are really geared towards getting producers out of
>tobacco and are heavy into direct marketing.
>
>There are only about 45 on the list - farmers markets and direct marketing
>associations - one national group, several regional groups, many state
>groups and a few local groups.
>
>I don't know if I answered the question - it is really a question of if
>their primary objective is to improve/facilitate some form of direct
>marketing - this isn't the case for most cooperatives and producer
>associations......

That was a great answer and thanks very much, Claire. This and Bill's
post really clarifies the distinction between DMA's and other grower
groups. My area desperately need this resource. There are many
young growers around the countryside here who are anxious to get into
growing for market so they can buy their own land and begin
homesteading. They need a supportive network to tap into and be
interactive with.

Lawrence F. London, Jr.<->Venaura Farm<->ICQ#27930345
mailto:lflondon AT mindspring.com<->mailto:london AT ibiblio.org
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech<->http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture
http://www.ibiblio.org/intergarden/orgfarm<->http://www.freetibet.org
PRESERVE AND PROTECT OUR LAND, SOIL, WATER, AIR & WILDLIFE

  • Re: What is a farmers market or direct marketing association?, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 01/15/2001