livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Harvey's Fall Presentations (OT) (Long)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Harvey's Fall Presentations (OT) (Long)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 23:47:46 +0100

A bit far away for me Harvey.
John in Ireland

I will be giving presentations at five major conferences in the fall,
listed below. In all cases, I will give my signature presentation on
whole-systems, integrated mixed poultry husbandry, plus additional
topics such as "Chickens in the Garden," "Trash to Treasure:
Bioconversion of Organic 'Wastes' to Resource," and more.

If interested in attending any of these presentations, please see
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Harveys+Presentations.html
for more details about the conferences and my specific presentations,
and for links to register.

If you attend one of my presentations, be sure to introduce
yourself--I'd love to meet you.

SEPTEMBER 16 & 17, MONTICELLO, CHARLOTTESVILLE, VIRGINIA: I will give
three presentations at the Heritage Harvest Festival, held at Thomas
Jefferson's estate.

SEPTEMBER 24 & 25, SEVEN SPRINGS, PENNSYLVANIA: I will give three
presentations at the Mother Earth News Fair, held at the Seven Springs
resort in western Pennsylvania.

NOVEMBER 4 & 5, BARRE, MASSACHUSETTS: I will give a two-day presentation
to the Northeast Organic Farming Association/Massachusetts Chapter
titled "The Modern Homestead" and targeted toward achieving greater food
independence in the backyard and small farm. Topics will include soil
fertility, working with livestock and poultry, limiting crop damage by
insects without toxic pesticides, using decomposer organisms to generate
both soil fertility amendments and live high-protein feeds, cultivated
mushrooms, eating fresh year-round, cover cropping, ideas for serving
small niche markets with the world's best food, and much more. Emphasis
will be on making the homestead and small farm a viable part of the
wider ecology and pulling their disparate elements into integrated wholes.

NOVEMBER 11 THROUGH 14, DALLAS, TEXAS: I will give two presentations at
the Weston A. Price Foundation's annual conference, including an all-day
on my whole-systems poultry husbandry during the "bonus activities" day
following the formal end of the conference. If you don't know about
WAPF, check them out--their work could revolutionize the way you think
about food and health.

DECEMBER 8 THROUGH 10, COLUMBUS, OHIO: I will give two presentations at
the Acres USA annual conference. One will be my signature presentation
on poultry, the other is still under discussion.

And looking forward to next year:

FEBRUARY 1 THROUGH 4, 2012, STATE COLLEGE, PENNSYLVANIA: I have just
been accepted for several presentations at the annual conference of the
Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture. We are still
discussing exact number and topics, but it looks as if I will do an
all-day on the integrated, independent, ecologically responsible
homestead and small farm--a one-day version of my November two-day NOFA
presentation described above.

Hope to see some of you at one of the conferences!

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book THE SMALL-SCALE POULTRY FLOCK (Chelsea Green) is now with the printer and will be available in a couple of weeks (mid-September). Preorder at:www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_smallscale_poultry_flock