livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] speaking of soil tests...Brix

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Ryan Albinger" <ryalbinger@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] speaking of soil tests...Brix
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:18:07 -0500

Brix is a in-field measure of dissolved minerals and sugars in the plant
sap. The higher sugar content makes the produce taste sweeter, but is that
what makes them taste better?? This test has been demonstrated before by
Albrecht. Pour 2 glasses of orange juice. Add 2-3 teaspoons to sugar to
one of the glasses. Now the sugar added juice will have a higher brix than
the non-sugared juice. The sugar added glass will taste sweeter, but not
better. This demonstrates that it is the higher mineral content of higher
Brix produce that makes the flavor better, not the sugar.

The value of Brix in the field. Higher brix plants are known to resist
insect and disease attack. Nature's desire to only attack the weak, not
strong. I believe it also was Albrecht who said that an insest would
rather die than eat a healthy plant. Couple brix with plant sap ph, and
possibly electrical conductivity, we have some clues on the health of the
plant and the plant/soil interaction. For example, just because we have
thousands of pounds of calcium per acre, doesn't mean a plant can not be
defcient of calcium. Low brix and low sap ph, would clue us in that that
could be an issue. Tissue testing also must be taken at face value as the
tool it is, but all the tools add up to a good picture.

Ryan