internetworkers - [internetworkers] Free or open-source desktop publishing software?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rob Rousseau <djrousseau AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Free or open-source desktop publishing software?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 11:01:21 -0500

I currently am a newsletter editor for a non-profit historical
society. It basically amounts to a 20-30 page magazine twice a year
to our membership. The prior editor (who has since passed away) used
to do the layout with paper and rubber cement. Since the task was
passed on to me, I've been making do by just using Microsoft Word.

I am now at a crossroads where we want to upgrade the newsletter to a
better looking format (full page photos for example). I would like to
use a better PC desktop publishing software, that is either free,
open-source of doesn't break the bank. I've come across this article,
but wanted to see if anyone else here had some opinions on these?
http://desktoppub.about.com/od/findsoftware1/tp/freedtpsoftware.htm

It listed Scribus, Serif PagePlus Starter Edition, OpenOffice.org
Productivity Suite (which I use already on my linux laptop) and
Inkscape (inkscape.org) (I'm not going to go with GIMP).

I think most print shops will now take a .pdf, so as long as it can
output that, I think I am good there.

Thanks,
-Rob