internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] A new twist on the municipal broadband bill

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <jmarkturner AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] A new twist on the municipal broadband bill
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:14:55 -0400

You aren't kidding, Thomas. Following this through the GA has been quite an education for me. Legislators knowingly lying about bills, pulling slight-of-hand amendments to derail others. Putting bills on the agenda unannounced. Not distributing copies of amendments to the public. Not distributing copies of amendments to LEGISLATORS themselves before asking them to vote on them. It's totally, totally out of control. :(

And one of the best approaches to reining it in died today when nervous senators pulled public financing out of the ethics reform bill.

Then again, the House still has some outstanding public servants. That's all that's left standing in the way of complete owned-ership.

Mark

Thomas Beckett wrote:
It really dismays me the degree to which the General Assembly is /owned/ these days. There has to be a better way.

Thomas