internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] FW: Why Are Some Civil Rights Groups & Leaders On the Wrong Side of Net Neutrality?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Matt Drew <matt.drew AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] FW: Why Are Some Civil Rights Groups & Leaders On the Wrong Side of Net Neutrality?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:24:41 -0500

> And, really, have you seriously not seen this image:
>
> http://wtl.wayfarer.org/files/net-neutrality-thumb-550x1224-27419.jpg
>
> Is that really what you want from the Internet?  Because
> the way it looks to me, without Network Neutrality, that
> is exactly what we'll end up with.

No, it's not what I want. As I said, I strongly support Net
Neutrality as a principle; however, the current legislation is shaping
up to make that future *more* likely, not less. If we don't do
something to encourage competition, it's pretty inevitable that
companies like Time Warner will continue to leverage their de-facto
monopoly positions to raise rates and keep service from improving.

Matt