internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] FW: Why Are Some Civil Rights Groups & Leaders On the Wrong Side of Net Neutrality?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] FW: Why Are Some Civil Rights Groups & Leaders On the Wrong Side of Net Neutrality?
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 23:44:41 -0500

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Matt Drew <matt.drew AT gmail.com> wrote:

> If duplicate, "inefficient" infrastructure accomplished your goal of
> low prices and high levels of access, isn't that a small price to pay?
>  And in fact, we have accidentally ended up with redundant
> infrastructure in many places due to phone lines and cable lines both
> being used for internet access.  Verizon is rolling out a third
> duplicate infrastructure with FiOS.  Inefficient?  Certainly, but it
> is getting us where we want to go, just very slowly.

Nope! Not in North Carolina at least. Verizon is completely
pulling out of NC and leaving those of us in formerly Verizon
serviced areas high and dry. If you're expecting Verizon to
save you, I would seriously advise you not to hold your
breath.

And, really, have you seriously not seen this image:

http://wtl.wayfarer.org/files/net-neutrality-thumb-550x1224-27419.jpg

Is that really what you want from the Internet? Because
the way it looks to me, without Network Neutrality, that
is exactly what we'll end up with.

Cheers,
Tanner
--