internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mac Users: Mac Book Pro 15"... 2.5 or 2.8?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Jim Ray" <jim AT neuse.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mac Users: Mac Book Pro 15"... 2.5 or 2.8?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:22:47 -0400

You pay big bucks for greatest performance. If you just have money to burn, do it.

Myself, well, I bought a 2 year old StinkPad from Amazon or somewhere, love it and let someone else take the accounting hit on depreciable assets.

If I were buying new, I would pay for extra DRAM memory yet not for extra processor speed or SRAM memory (cache). The primary bottleneck in computer architecture is still the electromagnetic hard drive anyway.

Now, if they have a solid state hard drive, you will directly address that primary bottleneck…