internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Some electronics hacking

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Some electronics hacking
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:32:56 -0400

Hello Dave,

Look on the back of the unit and see if there is a set of "line out" plugs. These will normally be the "RCA" type plug and there will be a right and left plug. (They might use the 1/4" phono plug format instead.) At Radio Shack, you can buy a converter that converts from the dual (stereo) RCA plugs to the single stereo miniplug (1/8") format used by headphones. If your headphones have an integral volume control, you will need this, as the line out's volume will not go up and down with the volume control on the unit (assuming it has its own speakers and volume control). If your preferred headphones don't have a volume control, get an "inline volume control" unit from Radio Shack also.

Do not connect your headphones to the "phono" or speaker connectors. The phono connector will be too weak, and the speaker connector will be too strong (and the wrong impedance). The line out connector is usually about right, especially if the headphones have a volume control or you add one yourself.

Cheers,
Jeremy

dave.m.parker AT gsk.com wrote:

Hi all,

I have a combination CD player/turntable/everything else that my wife gave me for Christmas. It's one of those made for oldsters, the one that looks like an old Victrola without the horn on top. Anyway, it doesn't have a headphone jack, and I really want to be able to use headphones. The question for any former/current Radio Shack regulars who may be in the group is: can I install my own headphone jack? My elecronics genius son can help me do the work, as long as we know it's possible.

Thanks.

- Dave P.