internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] External Hard Drive Recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Brown <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] External Hard Drive Recommendations
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:55:20 -0500

I really like the new RAID enclosures that house SATA drives.. they are very cool indeed.  That said I don't personally own one.  I have an older firewire only LaCie drive that lives under my Mac mini and it has been merrily chugging away for years.

The latest drive I purchased was a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus 500 GB USB 2.0 drive to house all my iPhoto and iTunes stuff on the mini.  So far it works great.  No complaints about this drive.

On the Outer Banks I have a customer that uses a LaCie 500 gig Quadra drive under heavy, HEAVY use as a part of a video surveillance system and, so far, after about 18 months, the drive is holding up really well.

Greg