internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] site-built shed

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tom Karches" <tkarches AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] site-built shed
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:50:15 -0400

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 1:04 PM, David Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone had a site-built shed... well, *built* for them recently?
> I've gotten a few good recommendations for Home Depot in Mebane (yes,
> location specific), but not for any other company. Any recommendations?
>
> I need something small, maybe 8' x 10' or 8' x 12' but since the
> ground is not perfect it will require a bit of thinking. Otherwise
> I'd buy one of those Rubbermaid plastic boxes and drop it in place.
> How about material recommendations? Wood? Metal? Plastic?

I had one built from scratch about a year ago. I found a design I
liked and had a local craftsman/handyperson build it for me.

Mine was sort of large at 16x16, but it made sense as I had the space,
and lumber comes in 8 foot lengths. Cost was a little over $5K.

I got almost all my windows and doors from Habitat For Humanity ReSale
center. Very nice, mostly new stuff, very cheap.

I have generally not been happy with the quality of the kit sheds, and
I didn't want something that looked like a barn.

What I ended up with looks more like a small house. Here is a picture
before it was painted :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomkarches/2848619822/

A small stepped deck was added to the front to create stairs.

I am very pleased with the results. I bought a book about sheds which
turned out to be very helpful, as it gave me some good ideas about
what was possible. The general design came from a shed plans booklet
from the 70's. The plans were no longer available, so the handyperson
drew plans from the picture.

Cheers,
Tom

--