internetworkers - [internetworkers] 2008 SoulJourn Living Earth Music Fest

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin Sonney <kevin AT sonney.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www. ibiblio. org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] 2008 SoulJourn Living Earth Music Fest
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 21:01:25 -0400

First up, it was great to see everyone at my brief stop at the Brewery last night. I hope everyone enjoyed their brief visit to Pittsboro and comes back to visit soon.

On that note, some of you got fliers for the 2008 SoulJourn Living Earth Music Fest I'm helping put together. This is my third year with the 'fest, and I'm VERY excited to be working on it. Here's the latest press release, and I hope to see you there!

SoulJourn Living Earth Music Fest gears up for Bill Mallonee and Fescue 911

Critically acclaimed singer/soungwriter Bill Mallonee is no stranger to North Carolina. The former Vigilantes of Love frontman recored with the now-defunct Awaking Records in Chapel Hill, and makes regular stops in NC during his tours. On September 20, one of those stops is the SoulJourn Living Earth Music Fest in Pittsboro.

Bill Mallonee, who ranked 65 in the top 100 Living Songwriters Poll by Paste Music Magazine, began his career in the alt-rock scene of Athens, GA with the band Vigilantes of Love. His lyrical style and throaty voice became one of the band's signatures. After 24 records over 16 years of touring with Vigilantes of Love, Bill was drawn back towards his roots in folk and county. Drawing on his early influences of the likes of Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, and Johnny Cash, Bill began writing and touring as a solo artist. His solo material struck a chord with longtime fans and new listeners alike. Why? In Bill's own words, "If i can reach into those parts of what makes me a human and describe it passionately, then it's my hope that it will resonate (horribly over-used word!) with others who are walking in the same skin."

Also appearing is Chapel Hill's Fescue 911. "Responding to Bluegrass Emergencies" in the Triangle since 1993, Fescue 911 blends bluegrass and country, old standards and new songs, focusing on new and exciting vocal arrangements. Vocalist Janet Ray, guitarist Rick Fannin, and bassist Darl Pothoven founded Fescue 911 in 1993, mostly for fun. The addition of banjoist David Tate and mandolin player David Crabtree, completed Fescue 911, and they quickly gathered a strong local following. Influenced by the fathers of modern bluegrass - the Stanly Brothers, Flatt and Scruggs, and Bill Monroe - Fescue 911 also includes favorites by modern bluegrass artists like Alison Krauss and Gillian Welch.

Bill Mallonee and Fescue 911 will be appearing at the Souljourn Living Earth Music Fest at the Pittsboro Central Carolina Community College Campus on September 20, 2008, starting at 6 p.m. t For the past three years, the SoulJourn Music Fest has benefited Chatham County, his year benefiting the new Biofuels Degree Program at CCCC.

Now in it's 6th year, the Sustainable Energy Program at CCCC has been building community partnerships in Chatham County, including working with the North Carolina Biofuels Center to build a production facility on campus to be used not just for education, but also for fueling the campus vehicles and equipment.

Information about the SoulJourn Music Fest can be found online at www.souljournmedia.com . More information about Bill Mallonee is at his website www.billmallonee.net . Information about Fescue 911 is available at www.fescue911bluegrass.com .
-- Kevin Sonney -- email: kevin AT sonney.com
-- AIM: ksonney
-- Skype: ksonney

"Seuss is God. We thought Clapton was, but it was grumpy, weird,
wife-dumping, flawed genius Ted." - Berkley Breathed - interview 2001

  • [internetworkers] 2008 SoulJourn Living Earth Music Fest, Kevin Sonney, 09/05/2008