internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Sexy and Eco-Friendly Transportation

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Greg Brown" <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Sexy and Eco-Friendly Transportation
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:07:13 -0400

The Prius would make a fine day-to-day car, I'm not saying it would not.  In fact the Prius is one possible contender to replace my wife's G35 (think Nissan Altima) when that vehicle reaches end-of-life.  Right now, though, the wife's car is paid for and running strong with no problems at all. Hence we aren't getting rid of it anytime soon.

For a second car I need something larger.  Take this weekend, for instance.  I have to get me, my wife, my two good-sized dogs, all our weekend stuff plus all the tools necessary to begin refinishing cabinet doors from here to the Outer Banks Friday night.  Thankfully we don't have so much stuff we won't have to take the trailer but it'll be a tight fit, but that's ok, we'll manage.

My point was I use my larger vehicle for purposes intended to own a larger vehicle: that is to haul a lot of people and/or materials on a fairly regular basis.  Going further my wife and I carpool (in her car) all week and we use the tanker on the weekends *IF* we're going out of town with all the dogs, etc, of if we're doing a larger project around the house (i.e. hauling concrete, wood, blah blah blah).

Still, though, the "Green Crowd" (and I consider myself to be in that group) points and wags their fingers when they see the Suburban.  Once I even asked a vehement objector to my vehicle "would you be happier if I got rid of the Suburban for a 1/2 ton truck?"  Oddly enough, they replied, yes, it would be more acceptable as a mode of transportation for my needs.  Really, that's fascinating.  The *SAME EXACT VEHICLE*, only one with an enclosed body and one with an open bed is considered on one had to be "evil" while the other is not.

I suppose it's better to keep my dogs in a kennel in the back of a truck in 100 degree weather exposed to the elements where he could be launched into outer space in an accident rather then keep him in an enclosed, protected, climate-controlled enviornment for a 3.5 hour drive.

Yup.  That's sensible.

I'll go back to my earth-hating ways of trying to cut my company's data center electrical useage by another 25%.  I've ranted enough and I'm sure everyone is tired of it at this point.