internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Sexy and Eco-Friendly Transportation

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Cristóbal Palmer" <cmp AT cmpalmer.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Sexy and Eco-Friendly Transportation
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:48:32 -0400

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Good point.. What happens when the first emission-free SUV comes to market
> capable of getting the entire family to the farmer's market and then to the
> soccer fields on a single charge or tank of hydrogen?
>
> The Chevy Conundrum: The Emissions Free SUV You Still Hate.. Just Because.

Hate it because it's wasteful. Just because you're not emitting
greenhouse gases doesn't mean you aren't damaging the environment.
With a battery-based system, for example, there are some pretty nasty
chemicals that go into production and recycling.

You can't get around the physics: a more massive vehicle means more
Work to get it from A to B. You remember the Work-Energy theorem? The
fact of the matter is that for the vast majority of families (99%+), a
compact sedan that can go 60 miles without a refuel/recharge for each
adult is actually /overkill/. If people are driving around
zero-emissions tanks, they're still wasting a lot of juice that
could've gone towards more productive tasks.

Fixing our dependence on petroleum products for transportation is a
great step in the right direction, but to really be sustainable we at
some point need to start considering a walkable or bike-able lifestyle
sexy, or at least enjoyable enough.

Having said all that,
http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/08/12/ronn-motors-scorpion-hydrogen-vehicle/
has some... ahem... pleasant curves. Thanks for your post, Susan.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"Small acts of humanity amid the chaos of inhumanity provide hope. But