internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] getting wood in RTP

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] getting wood in RTP
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 13:46:45 -0500

Scott wrote:
Any woodworkers out here on Internetworkers?

I'm starting to get into some wood working projects and I'm looking for
better places than Lowes and Home Depot to purchase wood. Does anyone
have any options for 8x4 sheets of 3/4" B-2 pre-finished birch plywood,
for example? Or maybe some birch, ash, and purpleheart planks?

Capital City or the other suggestions would be fine. Be careful
when picking up rough hardwood unless you are experienced with
identifying species. Capital City sometimes has mixtures that are
hard to tell apart. Exotics are easier to tell apart, but can be
highly variable board-to-board. (Some domestics like Cherry have
the same issue.) I've gone through the Capital City hardwood bins
and have seen a lot of mislabeled boards in the past.
If you are looking for one or two pieces, Woodcraft on Glenwood
will have them or the Woodworking Store on Capital Boulevard. It
will be more expensive at those stores than at the hardwood
stores, but it doesn't matter that much for a couple of boards
and the price of gas.
I have turned a lot of purpleheart. Be aware that the colors of
purpleheart can vary so try to buy one board for your whole
project rather than try to match boards. It is also very brittle
and very hard so take care in the planer and joiner or it will
chip out.

Assuming you have a way to surface rough lumber, I would
suggest NC Hardwoods in Gibsonville and East Wake Hardwoods
as places where they know their business in the area. They
will also surface the wood for a price (I think.)
<http://www.hardwoodstore.com/>
<http://www.eastwakehardwoods.com/>

If you are willing to go further afield, Steve Wall Lumber
in Mayodan (North of Greensboro) is an excellent choice. They
also have the right prices for 4x8 sheet goods if you buy
enough to make up for the gas. They do small lots in UPS
bundles also.
<http://www.walllumber.com/>

Good luck, Roger

--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.