internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Peace in Our Hearts, Peace in the World... and Peace in the Park this Saturday

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Peace in Our Hearts, Peace in the World... and Peace in the Park this Saturday
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:57:57 -0400

on Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:55:17PM -0400, Shea Tisdale wrote:
> I wonder how much electricity, cooling, cpu power, etc spam actually does
> cost...

Well, you could probably do a rough back of the envelope estimate if you
had say, GMail's bandwidth/hardware/power operating expenses; if 90% of
email is spam, then roughly 90% of their costs go to accepting, storing,
and managing the flow of sewage. You'd have to add in some for all the
spam they let out through their relays, too.

Spam ain't cheap.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stories/2007/04/02/daily25.html

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/