internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Learning about HVAC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Learning about HVAC
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:20:58 -0400

Tom Karches wrote:
Any good online resources to learn about this? Local HVAC installers
that you have had good experiences with, etc? I want to understand
what I'm getting into.

Wow, sounds like they want you to finance their company retirement plan.

I've had very good service from Matson Mechanical in Cary, 469-3304. The installer that put in our current system in 2001 went out of business, and it started having problems. We called Matson after another neighbor recommended them.

Carlos at Matson didn't waste my time trying to sell us a bunch of new hardware. He did analyze our installation, make some useful suggestions for improving its efficiency, and fixed the problems it had developed. The fees were quite reasonable IMO.

For reference purposes, I would not recommend a Goodman gaspack combo unit like the one we have based on our experience. It has needed too many major repairs, and was miswired at the factory in a way that damaged some of its components.

I strongly recommend talking to an HVAC company that is not interested in spending so much of your money.

--
Scott C.