internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] protect the cable companies

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] protect the cable companies
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:30:44 -0400

Thomas Beckett wrote:

Phillip Rhodes wrote:
Let the telecom companies compete
on their own merits... if citizens in rural areas want to voluntarily
fund improvements to their infrastructure in order to attract
businesses, that's fine... but why not let them form a voluntarily
funded, non-profit coop in order to do it.

And if citizens in a municipality find that the telcoms are not meeting
their needs, should the not be able to provide those services
collectively through their municipal government?

I suppose if 100% of the population wanted it, your argument
would have some merit. I don't find that particularly likely however.
Assuming for the moment that there are people who disagree; involuntarily collecting taxes for this (or anything else, but that's another issue) is a violation of their rights.

A voluntarily funded cooperative, which no power to force participation
is a much better solution as anybody who doesn't want to participate is
free to opt out.

> Why should the General
> Assembly enact a law that /prohibits/ competition?

Because the proper role of government is to protect our rights. This bill works (in a limited way, granted) to protect the rights of people
who don't want their money taken away and used to fund telecom infrastructure.

A GA bill to prohibit private competition would be a different matter.

TTYL,

Phil
--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/philliprhodes

And when the people complained, it
displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard
it; and his anger was kindled; and the
fire of the LORD burnt among them, and
consumed them that were in the uttermost
parts of the camp. Numbers 11:1
begin:vcard
fn:Phillip Rhodes
n:Rhodes;Phillip
adr:;;P.O. Box 16905;Chapel Hill;NC;27516;USA
email;internet:mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk
tel;home:919-928-0236
url:http://www.linkedin.com/in/philliprhodes
version:2.1
end:vcard