internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] hosting for a non-profit

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Judy Hallman <hallman AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Amnon <amnon AT deltaforce.net>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] hosting for a non-profit
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:14:16 -0400

Jason,

Thanks for your response. I'd like to point out that Amnon and Deltaforce provided colocation services _free_ to RTPnet from January 1996 until March 2002. Amnon is very generous with his support for this community, volunteer-based project.

Judy Hallman
Jason Tower wrote:
it makes a huge difference. a physical server requires rack space, power, network drop, IP allocation, physical access, etc. if you can find anyone willing to give you all that for free you just take their offer.

the best of both worlds is a virtual server - most of the benefits of your own server with less overhead. it costs more than virtual (name-based) hosting but less than physical hosting. i can set you up with one of those if you want, not for free but i'll give you a reasonable rate. contact me offline if you'd like to discuss in more detail.

jason

stan briggs wrote:
jason,

ooops. we've got a server (3U). we just need a place to hang it. does that
change your offer?

stan