internetworkers - [internetworkers] road runner, ARP, and you (plus Airport Extreme)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] road runner, ARP, and you (plus Airport Extreme)
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:40:22 -0400

So, I've got a Road Runner cable modem for Internet access here at the
house. It's fine, service is sufficiently reliable so as to allow us to
do remote backups and various other stuff involving use of bandwidth. So
no worries there.

The cable modem is ethernetted into the WAN port of an Airport Extreme,
which we have deployed along with another (in a WDS, to enable full Wifi
coverage all through the house, which has lots of steel roofs and other
impediments to Wifi) and that works well, too. We've even got one of
those nifty Airport Express w/AirTunes, and now that I've gotten the
placement issues figured out, it works fine, too.

...when the first Airport Extreme hasn't fallen over due to a
near-constant stream of ARP requests from the outside world, that is. Or
at least that's what I assume it is. Periodically, Base #1 just goes
unresponsive and requires rebooting, often manually via power cycling it
rather than by way of the Airport Admin Utility, which simply cannot see
it at all. Ethernet access, oddly, is uninterrupted.

Has anyone else with Road Runner and an Airport Extreme seen this sort
of thing? It's only been going on for the past few weeks, this time; I
had similar experiences back a couple or three years ago (so bad I could
not even obtain a DHCP lease) when Codered or Nimda or whatever the most
recent Windows-security-flaw-as-massively-exploited-event was. I hooked
the laptop up directly to the cable modem to see what all the
blinkenlights' traffic was, and it's ALL ARP requests.

I'm running the latest (5.7) firmware on the Extreme, and using 10/8
addressing internally.

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/