internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Water Heater Recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "tkarches AT imapmail.org" <tkarches AT imapmail.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Water Heater Recommendations
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 10:39:30 -0500

geschwind AT earthlink.net wrote:

All,

Well, the water heater is on the fritz. It's either the bottom heating element, or a busted dip tube (runs the cold water to the bottom of the tank). With our luck, it's the heating element.

Either way, I'm in the market her in Durham for a water heater repair or a new water heater. Any recommendations for good plumbers, water heaters, or a place where I can check out water heater prices? I'm having little luck getting pricing info via Google.

Depending on how old it is, you may be better off replacing the water heater rather than fixing it. I generally like to fix rather than replace, but hot water heaters seem to wear out pretty fast. In Cary, mineral deposits form rather quickly and probably cause accelerated wear.

Hot water heaters (like almost everything else) used to be made much better. When I lived in Dallas, I owned a house built in 1942 which had the same water heater until about 1992. 50 years. It had a glass lined tank. When it finally failed, the problem was repairable, but the replacement thermostat was unavailable (as you might imagine).

If you have an electric water heater, it might be a good time to switch to gas if it is not too much trouble to run a gas line. If you use a lot of hot water, it could pay for itself pretty quickly.

--Tom

--
Tom Karches
email : tkarches AT imapmail.org