internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Vonage Customers? IPO?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Vonage Customers? IPO?
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 14:35:21 -0400

On 5/9/06, Scott Lundgren <internetworkers AT capitalfellow.com> wrote:
> Have you received an offer to buy stock from their IPO? They've gotten
> pretty big... sounds like it could be a good deal.
> Do you think it's worth the risk pf buying into the IPO?

As I understand it (not being a customer there's room for ignorance)
Vonage doesn't own the pipes its service runs across (like a cable company
or bell's capital investment), uses open protocols (which for the consumer
is a good thing, but in the case of an investor would want some
intellectual property or "secret sauce" like Skype's protocol) and
generally serving a commodity market. While the argument can be made Dell
serves a commodity market as well, their business process of cost
reduction makes competing against them on price difficult. So I don't see
where Vonage's defensible resources are and I'd not invest in it.

Not to mention they lost $261million on top of taking in $269 million!
Sounds just like the late '90's eh?

another $0.02: http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2006/mft06050832.htm

Interestingly, I had just read that yesterday too after figuring out that I'm
eligible for the IPO offer. Definitely a good analysis If I do decided to
do it, it certainly won't be with a lot of money. (Not that I have a lot
of money to do stuff like that, but you get the point, right?)

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace