internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wireless Network Fluke meter Owners?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tom Boucher" <trekkie AT nomorestars.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wireless Network Fluke meter Owners?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 16:03:12 -0400 (EDT)

> Just switch to channel 11 might help out quite a bit, I'd do that first.
> But checking with Netstubmler doesn't hurt. Also while the Fluke testers
> do
> "listen" for noise on the channels and can find APs that are not
> broadcasting their SSIDs netstumbler won't. But to cause this much
> interference the AP would have to be very close.

We live just off of main street in pemberly. behind the wake
forest/rolesville middle school mostly.

I'm currently on channel 3. I've tried 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, and 11.
Originally I was running on 1 because I used netstumbler and all my
neighbors were on 6 and 11 so I figured that was safe when I first set up
because I was seeing a lot of noise on the network.

Using the airport client tool (pulling this from memory) my signal is at
-110db and my noise is at -30db. Unfortunately I don't know if 110 is
good or bad and if -30 is good or bad but the ping test with small med or
large packets seems to work fine at 30 - 52 Mb/s.

I'd have to double check when I get home but I think i'm on 1 again now.
I tried several over the last few days and then let it run for a day or
two to see if I could find anything different, but no go.

To my knowledge I have no new neighbors or new networks, and the 'usual
suspects' of wireless networks netstumbler finds are still there and on
their channels.

I've also been debating upgrading to a MIMO network router. From what I
understand the technology can improve slightly regular 802.11g stuff as
well as 802.11g MIMO. Keep hoping apple will upgrade their airport stuff
for the systems so I can use their stuff internally but i'm not holding my
breath.