internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wireless Network Fluke meter Owners?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Greg Brown" <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wireless Network Fluke meter Owners?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:52:28 -0400

Where abouts in Wake Forest?  I have access to all kinds of wireless test equipment.  B stuff, G stuff.. Big flukes, little flukes and I live just up the road in Youngsville.

It might take until next week before any testing could be preformed looking at my schedule.  In the meantime try this:

download "netstumbler" - they have PC, Mac, and heldheld versions, just google for it
Look for devices on the same channel.  If you are running on the "default" channel 1 or 6 you might have better luck on channel 11, which I have found to be *generally* the lest congested.

Just switch to channel 11 might help out quite a bit, I'd do that first.  But checking with Netstubmler doesn't hurt.  Also while the Fluke testers do "listen" for noise on the channels and can find APs that are not broadcasting their SSIDs netstumbler won't.  But to cause this much interference the AP would have to be very close.

Greg