internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] FrontPage guru

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Kurt Schlatzer" <kurt AT kurtschlatzer.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] FrontPage guru
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:53:56 -0500

Susan Manning wrote:
> We need a Mechanic, Doctor, Massage Therapist, and Spiritual Guru
> [snip] to assist us with the finer points of maintaining, polishing,
> and activating the advanced features of Microsoft FrontPage 2003.

Hi Susan,

Fire your BS Detectors and your Web staff.

No, really. You've been snowed.

FrontPage is a tool. A tool that produces non-standard code. This code isn't
"real" code, and anyone using a "real" browser (like Firefox) will have
difficulty seeing your site the way you do using Internet Explorer.

Dreamweaver is just another tool. A tool that produces better, almost
standard code.

Your site is just that - code. It should be designed and coded to standards
and be completely independent of a tool like Dreamweaver or FrontPage. Your
Web developer/designer should be able to manage your site independent of any
silly tool - especially if it is just HTML and there is no advanced
functionality like AJAX or server-side languages involved.

There's a reason that there aren't any FrontPage gurus. If you do find one,
run. Good luck.

Kurt