internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] no traffic on the list? how about speed...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] no traffic on the list? how about speed...
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:07:14 -0500

Jim Ray wrote:
Recently, I drove my minivan on a local road (Millbrook Rd. in north Raleigh) en route to a business appointment with plenty of time to spare. The speed limit changed from 45 mph to 35 mph. I slowed down to the speed limit. I had not traveled on that section of road in many years and was not aware of the steep grade immediately after I had slowed down the vehicle. I kept my eyes on the road and inadvertently exceeded the instantaneous limit yet obeyed the average limit.

A motorcycle police officer had been parked on the sidewalk at the bottom of the hill and issued a citation to me.

My brother in law, a police officer, said that section of road is a known speed trap. Is is a good use of taxpayer dollars to allow police officers to prey on citizens and deliberately engage in entrapment? Should the authorities post a sign to warn motorists of a steep grade?

I'd rather see our police force addressing the gangs in schools to serve and protect society instead of tax and extort. So, post a sign. Clock motorists on a flat road instead of at the bottom of a hill.

Folks that feel the same way should let the law makers know. While it would have been cost prohibitive to travel back to Montana to defend my position, it is not out of my realm to take a stand on this issue. I have the utmost respect for most of the police officers I have met. For my most recent encounter, some training is in order.

Judge: Sir, were you driving the speed on the ticket?
Jim: Yes, but...
Judge: Guilty. Next case...

I find it interesting that any officer would need to set up a speed
trap anywhere. If they need to make their quota, all they need to
do is go out to Wade Avenue extension any morning or afternoon and
they can write all the speeding tickets they want. That is a
"target-rich environment". I do the speed limit and people go past
me 15-20 mph faster in the left lane. They might as well make it 65
mph.

We live in a school zone and I have seen someone stopped for speeding
in a school zone almost each week for the past month. I have seen the
white SUV unmarked car sitting up on Ridge Road almost every day. It
is amazing that folks will drive so fast when the penalty for school
zone speeding is tough. My guess is that it is a very long zone from
Lacy all the way past Martin Middle. It is hard to do 25mph for that
long.

Good luck on the ticket, Roger
--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.