internetworkers - [internetworkers] no traffic on the list? how about speed...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Ray <jim AT neuse.net>
  • To: Internetworkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] no traffic on the list? how about speed...
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 08:29:53 -0500

http://www.neuse.net/speed

Once upon a time, I drove my turbo Porsche to Montana just to legally open her up and see how fast she would go (152 mph). After passing a highway patrolman, I received a ticket despite no speed limit at that time. Subsequently, Montana has now declared the practice of issuing speeding tickets with no posted limit unconstitutional and has posted a speed limit.

Ten years later, I drive a minivan. I pride myself on how many motorists I let into traffic instead of how many motorists I pass. I obey the speed limit within a tight tolerance and have a perfect driving record.

Recently, I drove my minivan on a local road (Millbrook Rd. in north Raleigh) en route to a business appointment with plenty of time to spare. The speed limit changed from 45 mph to 35 mph. I slowed down to the speed limit. I had not traveled on that section of road in many years and was not aware of the steep grade immediately after I had slowed down the vehicle. I kept my eyes on the road and inadvertently exceeded the instantaneous limit yet obeyed the average limit.

A motorcycle police officer had been parked on the sidewalk at the bottom of the hill and issued a citation to me.

My brother in law, a police officer, said that section of road is a known speed trap. Is is a good use of taxpayer dollars to allow police officers to prey on citizens and deliberately engage in entrapment? Should the authorities post a sign to warn motorists of a steep grade?

I'd rather see our police force addressing the gangs in schools to serve and protect society instead of tax and extort. So, post a sign. Clock motorists on a flat road instead of at the bottom of a hill.

Folks that feel the same way should let the law makers know. While it would have been cost prohibitive to travel back to Montana to defend my position, it is not out of my realm to take a stand on this issue. I have the utmost respect for most of the police officers I have met. For my most recent encounter, some training is in order.

Regards,

Jim

--
Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Network, Inc.

tel: 919-838-1672 x111
toll free: 800-617-7652
cell: 919-606-1772
http://www.Neuse.Net

Ask about our Clean Technologies. Established in the Carolinas 1997.

begin:vcard
fn:Jim Ray
n:Ray;Jim
org:Neuse River Network, Inc.
adr:;;2610 Vanderbilt Ave.;Raleigh;NC;27607-7247;US
email;internet:jim AT neuse.net
title:President
tel;work:919-838-1672 x111
note:Ask about our Clean Technologies.  Established in the Carolinas 1997.
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.neuse.net
version:2.1
end:vcard