internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Where to buy digital certificate?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tony Spencer" <tony AT tonyspencer.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Where to buy digital certificate?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:23:31 -0500

Honestly I don't know myself. I studied a bit of networking at NCSU but I'm
a programmer so I don't fully understand what actually goes on when a site
goes https. All I know is that when I was running the https version of my
site on the cheap ssl cert it was damn slow and actually timed out
occasionally. When I switched to Geotrust it was as if https was as fast as
http. I only can guess that ssl traffic is basically proxied throught the
cert provider. Only a guess. I'm sure there are guys here that could
explain it. But as far as I know there hasn't been one documented case of
someone sniffing packets and somehow decoding a credit card number out of
them so I've never been terribly interested in figuring out the in's and
outs. For me, the 'little padlock in the bottom of the internet' is merely
a comfort factor that gets customers to buy and one that I therefore cannot
ignore.